Sunday, April 14, 2013

Excited yet terrified....

So tomorrow is the big day. Brant will have a cranial ultrasound in the morning and then whenever the home oxygen people show up and teach me how to use it all we will be out of there. I'm excited to get him home yet terrified at the same time.

I feel like I can handle taking care of him without a nurse there but I am SO scared of him getting sick and us ending back in the hospital. I see myself holding up at house with him, never leaving and keeping him totally isolated. I know he needs to be exposed to things at some point but where do you draw the line???

With all of this said I know there are a lot of people that want to come meet him but I ask that we keep visitors to a minimum per day. If you want to stop by please be healthy and call first. I hate to say no to people but if I do say "not today" please do not get offended- I'm going to be super protective and cautious in the beginning. Plus I would like to get into a bit of routine with him at home before we start having a bunch of people coming over. It's going to be a big adjustment for us having him home, plus learning how to deal with the oxygen and pulse-ox he will be on. (and don't be surprised if I greet you at the door with a bottle of hand sanitizer!)

Any preemie mom's that have advise for me would be much appreciated with all of this! Like how long you waited to take your babies out, visitors, etc... I'm really nervous about all of this and I don't want to be protective but not over-protective.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for going home!! When we brought Cohen home it was fall and just starting cold/flu season so we didn't really take him anywhere unless he was in his carseat with a cover/blanket over him.

    Be as paranoid as you want, he doesn't need to be exposed to too many germs yet...there's plenty of time for that!! If people wanted to come over we made sure that they weren't sick and hadn't been around anyone who was sick. We didn't let any kids come over either. Everyone was asked to take off their shoes at the door and wash their hands right when they came in. We asked them not to touch his face at all (it's tempting to adjust that oxygen tubing or pinch cute cheeks). I was constantly wiping down light switches, door knobs, fridge handles, etc with lysol wipes. It sounds crazy, but it's worth it!!

    Hopefully since it's getting to the end of cold/flu season it won't be quite as worrisome, but definitely do what you feel comfortable with!

    ReplyDelete