Friday, April 12, 2013

SO close!!!

AHHH I'm such a proud mama right now! Brant has done 7 bottles in a row, only 2 more to go and he's done a full 24 hours!!! This morning in rounds I asked what they are thinking for discharge and they told me about a week- I was encouraged by that because hey, at least they are telling me something and not just "it depends"! However it has been decided that he will go home on oxygen. Jenny, his nurse, asked about having him on it just for feeds, which is really only when he needs it, but the doctor and nurse practitioner both agreed that if he is being sent home with equipment it would be easier on us if he was on it all the time. Then we wouldn't have to deal with setting it up and getting the cannula on each feeding. Not really what I was hoping for but, we can handle it- we have to. 

After a few feedings today though Jenny said, I'm not supposed to say this but I think if he continues how he is doing he'll be going home Sunday or Monday. She was SO excited when she left and said maybe I'll see you on Monday but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love the nurses here!!! They are so awesome. Larissa stopped by today too- she had him a LOT in the beginning but hasn't had him in quite a while. It was nice to talk to her for a little bit. I talked to Terri too today- another one who had him quite a bit that we haven't had lately. It's going to be SO weird not coming down here anymore and seeing everyone. 

I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up! Even if it is towards the end of the week we are still SO close. I think Darren would rather have it towards the end though. We haven't got his room set up yet. He said he was going to put together the bassinet tonight. Really that's the only thing I need done to feel  good about taking him home. I can deal with his clothes being in a box- it's not like we have a ton of clothes that fit him right now anyway! Plus he will be sleeping in our room anyway. Though we may have to put him in our closet (it's a walk-in, don't worry) because he is a noisy sleeper. He's always grunting or making little noises. 

And he weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces I believe, maybe it was 12. I'm not sure... I wasn't focused on that today during rounds, I wanted some answers on going home! 

I'm playing catch-up on the pictures I've taken!

One tuckered out little guy after his bath and photo shoot last week! 

Uncle Cody holding him for the first time 


 
Proud grandpa! 

This was taken today

he would NOT go to sleep today- even after doing so many full bottles in a row. 

ah he finally went to sleep! 






2 comments:

  1. Yay! Awesome news! Going home on oxygen sounds scarier than it is. They will get it all set up for you and everything. I'm sure they will tell you this, but ask for the longest tubing they have and if you have an upstairs/downstairs ask for one of the big tanks on each floor. We had our little guy at home on 02 for 4 months, once you get used to it it just seems "normal" but can be a little scary at first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jana! When I talked to them this morning they said the tubing would be like 50ft?? Did he have to have a pulse-ox monitor too?

    ReplyDelete