Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Going on 5 weeks....

Brant is up to 3 pounds 9 ounces on the dot today! He's gaining about 1 ounce per day! He seems so big to me right now! Nothing has really changed except yesterday and last night he seemed really congested and had lots of boogers suctioned out of his nose. The first thing Larissa asked me when I came in this morning was if I had any nasal stuff going on... my answer was no. And she told me they were concerned that maybe he got a cold or some sort of infection that's causing all the boogers or his nose is bothered by all of the water that has been shot up there from the nasal cannula tube (it has to be humidified so water builds up in the tube and if we aren't careful to watch it and empty it, especially before we move him it shoots up his nose). Of course after she left I got all paranoid and started thinking and I blew my nose last night, and its been really dry but it hasn't been runny. I told her that and she said oh don't be paranoid, it's okay, if it's not runny then you are fine. They are just going to watch him closely. His temperature has been stable and he hasn't acted sick at all so I'm hoping it's just been bothered by all of the water. So far today he hasn't needed to be suctioned and he doesn't sound congested like he did yesterday.

He has been nicknamed Mr. Troublemaker today too! I was busy pumping and it was getting close to feeding time and he wasn't making a peep which I thought was weird, but hey he's growing fast so he's probably just extra tired. Well when I was done and walking over to the sink to wash everything I peeked in and he was laying there, wide awake with this little look on his face, and what do I notice in his hands?? In one hand he has his feeding tube which he pulled all the way out, in the other- his nasal prongs... so he's figured out already that if he doesn't make noise while he's getting into trouble he can get away with it longer! I shoved the nasal prongs back into his nose, swaddled his hands to his side and gave him his pacifier to hold him over until Larissa came to hook up his next feeding. What a little stinker!!! I called Darren and told him and of course he's proud! We are going to have our hands full with this little guy. 



Fully dressed now! 



I took these pictures to try to show how little he is




About a half hour before feeding time he starts rooting around for his pacifier... 





But spits it out after a few good sucks and then wants it right back










And when he can't find his pacifier or we don't get it to him in time, he finds his thumb! 

Mr. Troublemaker getting his feeding tube put back in


No comments:

Post a Comment