Saturday, March 30, 2013

8 weeks old!

Brant is 8 weeks old today and weighing in at 5 pounds 13 ounces!!! His heart rate has been high the past few days so they decided to do an echocardiogram to try to figure out what is going on. They did that yesterday morning and I got a call at 3:15 this morning with the results- everything came back normal which is great, though we still don't know why his heart rate is high.

I came in a little frustrated this morning... his night nurse and day nurse have differing opinions on how to go about feeding him and his oxygen support. His night nurse was bumping him up to 40% oxygen during his feeds so that he would take more from the bottle and breathing would be a little easier during and after his feeds. But talking with his day nurse she doesn't think he needs to be pushed that hard with bottle feeding because it will just click with him as he gets older and she doesn't see the need to push him. I don't really know what to think... I'm leaning towards what the day nurse is saying because yesterday we had him down to room air and then to hear he was up to 40% last night just sucks. Yes he is taking more from the bottle but he is totally worn out then. I'm going to talk with the nurse practitioner and his doctor today to get their opinion and decide on a plan to go about things so that we're being consistent and talk to them about what his high heart rate means or what could possibly be going on.

On another note his preemie clothes do NOT fit anymore! We are in newborn sizes now so when I go home I need to go through the few clothes I have and grab all the newborn stuff and bring them back with me on Wednesday!

The plan for today as of right now is to take his vitals and see if he will be interested in bottle feeding at 12. And then before he eats at 3 I will give him a bath. And then sometime after that I will head home, or wait until after his 6:00 cares. I haven't decided yet, we'll see how the day goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment