Monday, February 4, 2013

Delivery Story

Brant Lee Groen, Born 2/2/13 at 10:52 p.m. Weighing 2lbs 7 oz and measuring 15.5 inches. This picture was taken 2/3/13 in the NICU at UWMC 
Sorry for the delay in an update- things happened so fast Saturday (2/2/13) night and I was completely exhausted that just sitting up in bed took it out of me. So here it goes:

My dad showed up Saturday night, not sure what time, to visit (it was later in the evening) after Grammy's funeral. He said everything with the funeral went really well. Saturday my blood pressures were higher than normal so they had increased my medication and left me on the magnesium drip. Well things didn't get better like they had hoped. My mom and dad left around 9:00 to go to a hotel. My mom didn't want to leave but I told her she needed to get out of that hospital room and off the cot and get a good nights rest. About 10 minutes after they left my nurse came in and took my blood pressure and it was the highest I had ever seen it. She was worried so she waited another 2 minutes and took it again to see if maybe it was just a fluke or a reader error. NOPE it was higher again. She calmly got out her cell phone and called one of my doctors. Within minutes he was in my room saying that if things don't go down we need to start talking about delivery and that rather than looking at weeks for delivery, it was more a matter of days... little did we know it was actually minutes at that point.

He left after speaking with me and calming me down because I started to get really upset and worried. After he left I tried calling Darren and my mom and dad to let them know what was up. While on the phone with Darren they took my blood pressure again and it was once more higher. So back in came the doctor and he said "Okay, time to round the troops, we can't wait any longer" and had me sign consent forms. During which my phone was ringing off the hook by Darren and mom & dad wondering what was up. Between signing forms and bawling my eyes out because I was so scared I got a hold of Darren and told him to get in the car NOW because they are prepping me for a c-section and all I did was text mom and tell her to get back to the hospital and that he was coming tonight. 

In a matter of 10 minutes everything changed- mom and dad were back to my room. I had nurses flying in and out prepping my belly and doctors explaining what was going to happen. They got me back into the OR and I was SOOO scared. I walked into this big room with tons of people in it and music blaring. They were all shouting out numbers and my vitals, patient ID etc while flying about the room while I'm sitting on the table just freaking out. One of the nurses, and I'm so thankful I recognized her face from being my nurse the day before, was in charge of keeping me calm and helping the anesthesiologist prep me. That was the worst experience of my entire life. I broke out into a complete cold sweat, could not focus, was shaking like a leaf, and they just kept telling me to breath and be calm... right who can be calm in that situation???

They gave me a shot in my back to numb me, right after making me drink the most nasty drink ever! The only way I can think of describing it was that it went down like Whiskey but had a grape after-taste. And then he started putting in the tube to completely numb me. At that point I was moaning and crying into the lap of my nurse who was holding me up. I lost my vision, hearing, and the room started spinning. Then they laid me down, got me in the right position and then mom came in. I couldn't have done it without her! The actual procedure itself was weird- no pain but pressure and I know C-sections are completely normal but for me who has never had ANYTHING wrong with them and never been admitted to a hospital before, I was freaked out. But everything went fine. Brant Lee was born at 10:52 p.m. I heard him cry when they took him out and before they took him off to the NICU they held him up for me. He looked so little and perfect I started to cry, as did mom. 

They finished me up and wheeled me into the recovery room. Within 10 minutes Darren & Dad were back there too. Yes Darren made exceptional time and didn't get a ticket. They wouldn't have let him in the OR with me anyway since he had a cold but as long as he kept a mask on they let him back to see me in recovery. Instead of transferring me to the postpartum department downstairs they took me back to my labor & delivery room for the rest of Saturday/Sunday took keep a closer eye on me given my circumstances. Everything with me looked okay, just SORE. They had me pumping right away and still were pushing drugs through me. Sunday is basically a blur for me. Early in the morning, maybe around 5 they brought me down the NICU to see him. I threw up all over myself in the hall before we saw him. Me and pain medications do not mix, especially going for a ride in an elevator on a gurney. 

I have been in the NICU a couple times now but each time I have only been able to handle being in there for a few minutes before either getting sick or completely overwhelmed. It's amazing how just getting out of bed, into a wheelchair and going down an elevator can take so much out of your body after being through so much. Right now it's about 5:30 a.m. Monday February 4. Just finished a pumping session and now waiting for my doctors to come in and speak with me. Last night around 11:00 they took out my catheter, took me off magnesium and had me walking laps around the unit. I'm doing good and they are really happy with how everything is looking with me. I'm just SORE and tired.

Now onto Brant... He is doing about as can be expected for a 28 weeker. Honestly I don't understand everything that is going on with him. They have told me so many times but I am so out of it and exhausted that I can't grasp onto anything at this point. He was breathing on his own when he came out but put him on a ventilator to help him and make things easier. They are monitoring him very closely. Sunday afternoon before Darren & dad went home they called up and gave an update on him. And honestly I couldn't tell you what they did or what was wrong. My head is so exhausted that they tell me something multiple times and I can't retain it. I will have mom post for me what is going on with him. From what I have been able to understand and grasp is that what they are seeing is completely normal for a preemie his age. 

As soon as I get more information on Brant I will have mom post. I feel like such a bad mom for not being able to explain what is wrong with my own baby. My brain is just not functioning and anytime I go down into the NICU I get overwhelmed and cannot focus on anything but the sight of my little baby with tubes coming in and out of everywhere on his body :( Hopefully today since I'm up and walking and off my IV and weaning myself off the awful pain medications I can spend a little more time down there with him and maybe even hold him if he is doing well enough. 




No comments:

Post a Comment