Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Home for right now...

Sorry for the lack in update yesterday! I was discharged from the hospital Tuesday night (2/5). Brant had an uneventful night Monday night and Tuesday. I called and spoke with his nurse a couple hours ago and he is doing about the same as when we left, which is good. Uneventful is good, I did not like Monday night when his doctor came in my room at 1:30 a.m. to tell me his lung collapsed and that they had to put in 2 chest tubes... 

They did say they might take him off the lights for jaundice and his oxygen needs have gone down the past few days. He is still getting morphine to keep him comfortable because the ventilator he is on and the chest tubes are quite uncomfortable. I asked when they would take the chest tubes out and she said the levels on his ventilator are too high for them to take them out. She said would not feel comfortable taking them out until they can change the settings on his ventilator and know for sure that it would be okay to take them out. She said they are being extremely cautious and wouldn't want to take them out and then have to put them back in again- it would be too much stress for him. 

We left my room at about 7:00 p.m. Tuesday. On our way out of the hospital we stopped at the pharmacy to pick up all of my medications and then went to NICU to drop off what I had just pumped and visit Brant before we left. 

It was SO hard to leave his room last night. I held it together better than I thought I would in the hospital. The minute I stepped out of his room the tears started but I didn't let myself completely lose it. We stopped at the Espresso stand on our way out to get some water and for Dad to get a coffee for the drive home. I got loaded into the car, took all of my pain medicine for the ride home and we were off. Once we hit the freeway I lost it and didn't stop crying until we got home... I knew it was going to be hard to leave and that I would be upset but I never thought it would be that hard and how guilty I would feel for leaving him. I know I need to be home and heal myself so that I can get back down there easier and faster but all my worries are about him, not me... 

Hopefully today we can figure out a place to stay and figure out when I can go back down. 


This picture was taken 2/3. He has a LOT of hair 

Mom & Dad went to U Village and got some craft stuff so we could make a sign for the door to his room


Just hanging out under the lights... 




He's got one very proud Grandpa at his side :) 


Definitely got his Daddy's long legs and HUGE feet


Holding his little hand- his fingers are SO long 



His nurse made him a sign for his room 



I also want to say thank you SO much to my Auntie Pam. Yesterday morning she came over and got all  of our laundry, cleaned the apartment and stocked our fridge. I was not expecting that and it was SO nice to come home to a clean apartment, clean bedding and not having not having to worry about what a mess Darren made while being gone for over a week! Though he did say he kept it pretty clean and tried to clean up for me, which I appreciate, but a guy's version of "clean" and a girls version of "clean" is just not the same thing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment