Sunday, February 24, 2013

Moved In...

Well we got me moved into the apartment... not really what we were expecting but we're going to make it work. Apparently their version of "newly renovated" and ours are NOT the same. And their cleaning could use some work. We went to Safeway and got some groceries and cleaning supplies. The building is back in corner and not very well lit so going back after dark is a little uneasy but Dad is going to get me pepper spray as we speak- plus I have my concealed weapons permit, I just can't carry in the hospital. There is no way I could've slept without Darren there last night but he left with Wayne & Nicki a few minutes ago and mom and dad will leave tonight. So tonight I'll be on my own. It's going to be hard but I'll be fine- I'm going to have to get used it eventually! I was by myself this week because Darren was working out of town but it's different when everyone you know is 2 hours away... but it'll only be a couple days before someone is back :) I'm sure there will be a few nights where I just stay at the hospital in Brants room. Tomorrow I think I will ask if I can get a couch in his room instead of the 2 chairs. That way I can lay down and take a little nap during the day. I haven't been able to sleep much lately so that would be nice.

Brant has had a few episodes the last 2 days where he'll forget to breathe... He pulls himself out of it so they said not to worry too much about it and that they would worry about it if they had to step in to get him breathing. It still scares the heck out of me when I hold him and all of the sudden he stops breathing; they told me that if I notice him doing it before the alarms start going off to rub his back or tickle his feet and that will help remind him. They increased his level on his high flow nasal cannula to give him some more support. The nurse practitioner came in this morning and said that with all the changes he's had and it's all been so fast that things could just be catching up with him. So they are leaving him up on a higher level for a few days to see how it goes. They also increased his caffeine supplement dosage to his higher weight for stimulation and hopefully the higher dose will also help with the episodes.

His weight is up to 3lbs 1 ounce- almost 2 ounces. He hit 3 pounds yesterday! They will be doing a bunch of labs tonight along with a blood gas to see how everything is going. They haven't done any labs at all this past week so I'm praying everything comes back good! They keep increasing his feeds too. Makayla, his nurse for this weekend has been showing me how to get him out of the isolette on my own- a little nerve wrecking! He only has the nasal cannula and feeding tube that are the major lines but he has all the monitor wires too so it's a process to get all the wires in the right place in my arms and draped right and then getting him positioned just right too... I don't see how they think I can do it on my own but I am starting to feel more comfortable handling him. She just helps me with the wires and making sure he is positioned just right.

I will post pictures from today and yesterday later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment