Sunday, February 10, 2013

Nice surprise this morning!

We left really late last night after the Groen family all came to see him. I was EXHAUSTED by the time we got to the hotel, and worried. It's like you take 2 steps forward, 1 step back every time. I called the NICU at 6:30 a.m. to check on him and his nurse Doug said he was staying steady through the night and his chest x-ray looked better than the last one- GREAT news. I slept hard after hearing that.

We slept in and then got all packed up, had some brunch and headed to the hospital. When I walked into his room I was shocked at how quiet it was and seeing this new piece of fancy equipment in place of the other ventilator he was on. They said he was doing well enough and they saw no air where there shouldn't be any in the chest x-ray so they felt comfortable changing it and so far has being doing well. And it makes me really happy to see that they put away the chest tube kit they had out just in case they had to put it back in. He is off the antibiotics as well. They turned down the morphine so he'll be a little more alert and are feeding even more. It's little steps in the right direction!

We will head back home tonight, I HATE the drive home... it's like the farther away I get from UW the more worried I am, and then headed the other direction the closer we get to UW the happier I am. I do get way more rest at home than I do down here so tomorrow will be one big day of doing nothing but pumping and sleeping. However now it's so quiet in his room with this other ventilator that it might be possible to get a nap in. They just have to move the old ventilator out so I can turn the chair into a bed and lay down.

I will be back Tuesday- I have a follow up appointment with Doctor Easterling in the clinic here to check my blood pressure and my incision. Hopefully everything with me will turn out good. I think today we are going to take a break later and head to U Village to check out a store or two and grab an early dinner then come back and meet with the respiratory therapist so they can explain some stuff about the new ventilator. The next chest x-ray is at 5 so lets just hope everything is looking good on that!

Here are some pictures of his new set up and him without the chest tubes- sorry about the quality, the lighting in here is terrible and I haven't figured out all the settings on my camera either... I need someone to teach me!

The tape and white squares under his arm is where the chest tubes were. 


Bear and Diesel are here to keep him company :) 


Uncle Cody seeing him for the first time 


New ventilator 


The rest of his set-up 


He loves to hold onto his tubes and have his hand underneath his chin 


So in love with him! 



1 comment:

  1. Oh Kelsey...

    What great news. Those little scares are hard but in the end you really had some great big steps.

    His set up is impressive. When he is older he will love to see all the gadgets...being a boy and all. It must have been so amazing to walk in and see his new equipment around him and if you can get the space for the chair to make into a bed they really work great for those moments when you can just lay and rest.

    He is really growing...each photo I am just amazing at how much he changes. The photos are so great for all of us here not able to see him. We sure are excited for you all and love that you are sharing this moments with us.

    Well you enjoy you evening and I pray that all has gone well tonight.

    How long until you will be allowed to hold him? Have they said yet? I know you must be counting the days.

    Love to you all,
    Cousin Deb

    ReplyDelete