Monday, February 25, 2013

LONG day today

Don't quite know how to describe how last night went other than it SUCKED. I could not sleep- every time I would start to nod off I would hear a noise or the people next door would slam something and I would be wide awake. I don't think I fell asleep, and was really sleeping well until 4 or 4:30 and then I had to be up at 6 to pump so not much sleep. I crawled back in bed after I was done at 6:30 and got 2 more hours of sleep but it was just not enough.

I just hung out in his room this morning until we did his cares at 12 and then held him basically until I left tonight. He did fine overnight. Had a full lab work-up and blood gas. The nurse last night told me everything came back good but then this afternoon the nurse said, if I understood her correctly, that his red blood cell count was low so they would be giving him shots every three days to stimulate that. So she gave him his first shot today while I was holding him, poor little guy... He did not like it but she said it would help calm him down faster if she gave it to him I while I held him versus being in his bed. He didn't like it at all but the crying and fussing only lasted a minute or two before he calmed back down again. 

He didn't have many episodes last night but his night nurse kept him mostly on his belly. That's where he is happiest in the isolette. Today he had a few episodes before I held him. They wanted to me to hold him as long as I could because that is where he does the best and he is the most comfortable. So from 12:15-6:30 we only took a tiny break for me to use the restroom, grab a quick bite for lunch, change his diaper, take his temperature and give him his vitamins and then it was back to snuggle time. I love holding him but sitting in that tiny room all day by myself and not being able to move really wore me out. I felt guilty leaving a little before 7 tonight, especially when the nurse asked if I was coming back... but I really needed to get out of that room, walk around and stretch my legs, and I need SLEEP.

I was in such a hurry to get to the hospital I forgot my camera in the apartment- good thing for cell phones! This is one of the best pictures I've got yet- wide awake and when his isolette was open so no glares!  




No comments:

Post a Comment